cygwin1.dll 3.5.0-1 appears to cause spurious "error 127" with make 4.4.1

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 17:00:05 GMT 2024

On 26/02/2024 17:34, Dimitry Andric via Cygwin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After a recent upgrade of a Cygwin installation, including cygwin1.dll
> (see https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2024-February/255308.html) to
> 3.5.0-1, I now get spurious "error 127" messages from (Cygwin's copy of)
> GNU make 4.4.1-2, when it starts external processes and those external
> processes exit with a zero exit code.
>
> For example, a very simple Makefile:
>
> all:
> 	cmd /c echo done
>
> Running this a few times in a Cygwin bash prompt, gives:
>
>    Dim@kilchoman ~/foobar
>    $ make
>    cmd /c echo done
>    done
>
>    Dim@kilchoman ~/foobar
>    $ make
>    cmd /c echo done
>    done
>    make: *** [Makefile:2: all] Error 127

this smells as a lost race with your AV
can you tell it to not bother the Cygwin directory ?

> Does anybody know if there are intermediate cygwin1.dll copies
> somewhere, so I attempt to bisect where this problem started occurring?
>
> -Dimitry

you can test the next snapshots to see if it makes any difference
https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/cygwin-src.html