Creating a desktop shortcut to Cygwin emacs

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@SystematicSW.ab.ca
Fri Feb 23 03:49:45 GMT 2024

On 2024-02-22 12:44, David Karr via Cygwin wrote:
> Every three years or so I have to set up a new laptop, and several things
> that I only do in that period I either lose the notes on it, or something
> has changed that I'm not aware of.
>
> I'm installing Cygwin on a new laptop, version 3.5.0-1.x86_64. I had 3.4.6
> on the old laptop.
>
> My desktop shortcut on the old laptop goes to:
>
>     C:\cygwin64\bin\run2.exe --display 127.0.0.1:0.0 /usr/local/bin/emacs.xml
>
> I tried to set this up on the new laptop, and I noticed that "run2" doesn't
> exist, but "run" does. I tried just changing the command line to call "run"
> instead, but that resulting command line doesn't appear to do anything. No
> errors, just returns to the prompt and nothing happens.

Different program with different requirements - run is part of Base cygwin,
installed by default, not a lot else is except for install requirements,
{core,cyg,diff,find,ipc-}utils, util-linux, and ex/vi.

Package run2 has to be selected in Cygwin Setup, as does xinit to install the X
server and run Cygwin GUI programs.

> I tried googling for this, and I found a page on the EmacsWiki, but I can't
> tell if that is up to date.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry