python3 3.9.18-1 hanging

Takashi Yano takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp
Tue Feb 20 02:46:22 GMT 2024

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:18:37 +0100
Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 30/01/2024 10:22, Andrew Murray via Cygwin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Over in Pillow’s GitHub Actions, the Cygwin job has started hanging when running pytest - https://github.com/python-pillow/Pillow/actions/runs/7690866578/job/20955296663
> >
> > Interestingly, this is not something specific to Pillow. Cygwin has also been hanging for NumPy’s GitHub Actions, https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/25708, and GitPython, https://github.com/gitpython-developers/GitPython/pull/1814.
> >
> > The conclusion that these Python developers have come to is that the problem started when Cygwin’s python3 package updated to 3.9.18-1. For the moment, they have downgraded to 3.9.16-1.
> >
> > However, I’m letting you know here about the problem, in case you would like to find a more permanent solution.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> thanks,
> I will look
>
> of course as soon I removed from test the problem raised

I hit probably the same issue while building pango1.0 1.51.2-1
with python39 3.9.18-2 (Test) installed.

Several python3.9 processes are stalled and some of them cannot
be terminated even with kill -9.

Attaching gdb to them shows SIGSEGV in the thread whose stack
is corrupted. The program counter is 0 as follows. Null function
pointer dereference?

Thread 12 "python3.9" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 19184.0x18ac]
0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

Another thread seems to stop in exit_thread() (winsup/cygwin/sigproc.cc).
It may be due to SEGV.

Downgrading it to 3.9.16-1 solves the issue.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>