[EXTERNAL] Re: Win 11 Cygwin dns-utils "dig" and "host": Option -6 causes command to timeout

Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] lavr@ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Thu Feb 15 02:11:38 GMT 2024

> $ host -6 google.com

FWIW, this hangs just the same on Linux when no IPv6 nameservers configured in /etc/resolv.conf

What it tries to do is to inquire the nameserver at [::1]:53 (which is the local host),
and then, since bind is not running on the host, that times out.

This, however, is looks like a bug to me:

> Failing assertion due to probable leaked memory in context 0xa00020be0 ("dig")
> (stats[4].gets == 1).
> mem.c:1121: INSIST(ctx->stats[i].gets == 0U) failed.

and I can't see the same on Linux.

Anton Lavrentiev
Contractor NIH/NLM/NCBI