Running setup-x86_64.exe from cmd does nothing but works from cygwin itself

wsnyder@wsnyder.org wsnyder@wsnyder.org
Tue Feb 13 01:46:32 GMT 2024

Downloading and running as administrator the uncompressed version from https://cygwin.com/setup/ (https://cygwin.com/setup/) solved the setup-x86_64.exe "doing nothing". Thanks for your help.
On Monday, February 12, 2024 at 02:44:16 PM EST, Jon Turney via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
 On 12/02/2024 01:05, wsnyder--- via Cygwin wrote:
 > I have a Windows Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044 system with Cygwin
 > installed a while ago.
 >
 > Opening the cygwin terminal (which works fine), I see it is running:
 >
 > CYGWIN_NT-10.0-19044 version 3.3.6-341.x86_64 (corinna@calimero) (gcc
 > version 11.2.0 20210728 (Fedora Cygwin 11.2.0-2) (GCC) ) 2022-09-05
 > 11:15 UTC
 >
 > I needed to install some packages so downloaded setup-x86_64.exe onto
 > my desktop. When I run it from the desktop I get the "busy" cursor
 > for a fraction of a second and nothing happens. When I open the
 > native Windows cmd prompt as administrator, and run
 > "setup-x86_64.exe" or "setup-x86_64.exe -v" or "setup-x86_64.exe
 > --asdjasdjaskdhj", I just get the prompt back.
 >
 > If, however I startup the cygwin terminal (vs cmd window) and run
 > setup-x86_64.exe, it starts correctly. However I'm afraid to run it
 > this way as if it crashes I'll presumably never be able to run setup
 > again.
 This seems highly speculative.
 > This is a work machine so while I have admin, it's completely
 > possible they've added some broken virus checker rule that is now
 > preventing it from running. But, I get no alert, which I normally
 > would doing something unusual, and that it works under cygwin itself
 > seems odd.
 This is very odd behaviour.
 [1] https://cygwin.com/setup/ (https://cygwin.com/setup/)
 --