Running setup-x86_64.exe from cmd does nothing but works from cygwin itself

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@SystematicSW.ab.ca
Mon Feb 12 06:08:05 GMT 2024

On 2024-02-11 18:05, wsnyder--- via Cygwin wrote:
> I have a Windows Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044 system with Cygwin installed a while ago.
> Opening the cygwin terminal (which works fine), I see it is running:
> CYGWIN_NT-10.0-19044 version 3.3.6-341.x86_64 (corinna@calimero) (gcc version 11.2.0 20210728 (Fedora Cygwin 11.2.0-2) (GCC) ) 2022-09-05 11:15 UTC
> I needed to install some packages so downloaded setup-x86_64.exe onto my desktop.

How did you download Cygwin Setup: browser download from Cygwin home page, wget
of link, or curl from link?

What are the permissions, size, path, and name of the downloaded file?
Try running `chmod -c a+rx .../setup-x86_64` to force executable permissions.

> When I run it from the desktop I get the "busy" cursor for a fraction of a second and nothing happens.
> When I open the native Windows cmd prompt as administrator, and run "setup-x86_64.exe" or "setup-x86_64.exe -v" or "setup-x86_64.exe --asdjasdjaskdhj", I just get the prompt back.
> If, however I startup the cygwin terminal (vs cmd window) and run setup-x86_64.exe, it starts correctly.

How are you running the program: using the full Windows or Cygwin path?
Try running `which setup-x86_64` to see which if any file is executed.

> However I'm afraid to run it this way as if it crashes I'll presumably never be able to run setup again.

Why would you think that?
Programs that don't run either continue not to, or run when conditions are changed.

> This is a work machine so while I have admin, it's completely possible they've added some broken virus checker rule that is now preventing it from running.
> But, I get no alert, which I normally would doing something unusual, and that it works under cygwin itself seems odd.

Cygwin enables permissions allowing execution under Cygwin and ignores settings
which may prevent execution under Windows.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry