Suggestion: [setup] Add an option to allow user to add "Open Cygwin Terminal Here" to Right-click menu

Lee ler762@gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 12:07:09 GMT 2024

On Fri, Feb 9, 2024 at 11:21 PM Yang Yu Lin via Cygwin wrote:

> It would be convenient for users to open specific folder in terminal by just right-click it, like Git Bash and Windows Terminal.

search for the 'chere' package in setup

I use this .reg file:

C:\Installed>cat cygwinHere.reg
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; add a Windows Explorer right-click option for folders to
;   Open Bash Shell Here

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\bashShell]
@="Open Bash Shell Here"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\bashShell\command]
@="C:\\Windows\\system32\\cmd.exe /c \"pushd %L && set
CHERE_INVOKING=1 && c:\\cygwin\\bin\\bash.exe --login -i\""

; @="C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c \"pushd %L && set CHERE_INVOKING=1
&& c:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe - \""
; which has the annoying flash of the DOS cmd window opening & closing
before the mintty window opens

C:\Installed>

> Note: I hope this change would work on Windows 11 right-click menu. (Because I don't like "Show more options" or Shift + Right-click)

I'm still on Windows 10; I have no idea what does/doesn't work on Windows 11

Regards,
Lee