Cygwin X11 on second (Nvidia) graphics card

Duncan Roe duncan_roe@optusnet.com.au
Mon Jan 30 01:08:40 GMT 2023

Hi Franz,

On Sun, Jan 29, 2023 at 06:18:43PM +0100, cygwin wrote:
> Am 27.01.2023 um 20:58 schrieb Brian Inglis via Cygwin:
> > On 2023-01-27 08:22, Franz Fehringer via Cygwin wrote:
> > > I have a question which seems quite natural but i cannot find
> > > anything useful using google & co.
> > > My (business) notebook has two graphics cards, one builtin
> > > identifying as Intel Iris Xe and an additional one, a Nvidia MX550.
> > > I start X11 (xwin) with defaults (-listen tcp is the only extra option).
> > > Using nvidia-smi and the Nvidia activity dialog i see that the
> > > Nvidia graphics card is not used.
> > > Using glxinfo i see that the builtin Intel Iris Xe is used instead.
> > > I already prefer Nvidia over Intel via the Nvidia control panel.
> > > How do i make X11 and OpenGL use the Nvidia graphics card instead of
> > > the Intel one?
> >
> > $ man Xwin # See OPTIONS FOR SPECIFYING X SCREENS
> >
> > In your XWin Server shortcut etc., add server options -multimonitors or
> > -screen ... after startxwin ... -- ["--" required to allow server
> > options].
> >

> Using these options does not change anything.
> The XWin server simply doesn not detect the second (Nvidia) graphics card.
> I think i will repost with a more concise subject.

AIUI, your notebook screen will be "plugged in" to your embedded card and you
will need to plug another monitor into your Nvidia card in order to use it.

Once you have plugged in the second monitor, you may need a reboot for it to
be fully functional (I have to do that on my *linux* laptop).

After that, with X running, `xrandr` should show you available resolutions on
both screens.
By default, the second screen appears to the right of the first: xrandr options
--left-of, --right-of, --above, --below, --same-as can change this.

Cheers ... Duncan.