MS Windows 8.1 EoL today

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@Shaw.ca
Wed Jan 11 23:33:17 GMT 2023

On 2023-01-11 9:22, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jan 10 14:42, Brian Inglis via Cygwin wrote:
>> As MS Windows 8.1 has gone EoL today:
>> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-81?source=recommendations
>> with Chrome, Edge, and other product support also ending this month, is
>> Cygwin 3.4.3 also the last release to support that and equivalent server
>> releases, and should that be clarified on the web pages and announcements.

> There are no plans to drop 8.1 support any time soon, and all 3.4.x
> versions will continue to run on Windows 7 and later, as already
> outlined in basically all cygwin package announcements since Cygwin
> 3.3.0:
> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2021-October/010268.html
> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2022-December/010831.html
> Only the 3.4.3 release announcement is missing this info accidentally.

Thanks for the clarification.
I was just in touch with curl upstream to drop their Downloads web page Cygwin
x86 32 bit section, and clarify update availability, and was unsure whether that
EoL affected anything.
I will edit https://github.com/curl/curl-www/issues/216 to clarify that for
future searchers.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis			Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer	but when there is no more to cut
			-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry