How to use X-Server on VM with multiple client displays?
Stone, Timothy M
Tue Aug 22 17:41:50 GMT 2023
I hope I'm using the right list!
I have an X application that uses the cygwin X Server XWin. It works fine on Windows:
* When I launch the application, XWin launches, then the X app raises it's window.
When I install this application (and cygwin and XWin) on a virtual machine, I have a DISPLAY issue:
* If I log into the virtual machine from <machine1>, I can launch and run the app just fine.
* However, if I then try to log into the virtual machine from another computer and launch the app...the app launches on the first machine's display...so I have 2 copies of it running on that display now.
* Typically, I'd set DISPLAY=<machine1>:0.0 for the first machine, and DISPLAY=<machine2>:0.0 for the second machine
* The problem is, the virtual machine is the only machine here, it only has 1 IP address
* I don't know how to set multiple DISPLAY when using the same virtual machine with the same IP address from 2 different machines.
* I have tried setting the DISPLAY to the IP addresses of the client machines, this does not work (unable to open display).
* I have also tried setting DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 for one machine and DISPLAY=localhost:0.1 for the other machine...this also does not work
* XWin is unable to open display localhost:0.1
Any help greatly appreciated!
I'm sure it must be possible to launch the X app on the virtual machine from different clients and have the display on their respective displays? I just can't see how to set the display.
More information about the Cygwin