Smartctl issues in Cygwin with elevated terminal

Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty cygwin@hamishmb.com
Mon Sep 26 14:26:36 GMT 2022

On 13/09/2022 18:23, Christian Franke wrote:
> Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty wrote:
>> I recently noticed that smartctl only works when the Cygwin Terminal
>> isn't run as administrator - the opposite way round to Linux where you
>> need superuser privileges to access the disk.
>>
>> With Administrator privileges on Windows 11, I get:
>>
>> "Read Device Identity Failure Input/Output error"
>
> This likely happens because one of the tried pass-through I/O-controls
> returns an error code which does not mean "not implemented". This is a
> limitation or bug in the driver of the disk controller.
>
> For further diagnostics, try for example. 'smartctl -r ioctl,2 -i /dev/sda'
>

>> But it continues to work fine as a normal user.
>
> When run without admin rights for a SATA device, smarctl may print:
> "Warning: Limited functionality due to missing admin rights"
> and then prints only limited device identify and SMART DATA information
> returned by IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY and IOCTL_STORAGE_PREDICT_FAILURE.
>
> Other functionality requires admin rights and a working pass-through
> I/O-control - try 'smartctl -x /dev/sda'.
>

> Please note that the above is not Cygwin specific as it applies to both
> (Cygwin and Mingw-w64) Windows builds of smartctl. Use this ML for
> related support requests:
>

>> Does anyone know why? In my case, this actually matters because I'm
>> not sure how to elevate and/or drop privileges in Cygwin, as sudo
>> doesn't work due to it not being Unixy underneath.
>
> To drop privileges, try 'cygdrop' tool from 'cygutils-extra' package.

Thanks.

I can confirm that this only seems to be an issue in QEMU - it's a disk
controller and/or driver issue as you suggested it might be.

cygdrop will hopefully resolve my issue.

Hamish