substitute for xclip?

Sam Edge sam.edge.cygwin@gmx.com
Thu Oct 20 07:27:09 GMT 2022

On 19/10/2022 23:52, Oliver Schoede wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2022 14:58:42 +0200
> Ulli Horlacher <framstag@rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
>> https://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/fop/jFZ6T7wI/X-20221019141237.png
>>
>> I have selected [copy] in the file browser, but /dev/clipboard is
>> empty. Also getclip gives me no output.
>>

> It looks to me like you copied the file, not the file name?

To clarify the above, Windows has a non-text clipboard data type when
'copying' a file in the File Explorer which encodes additional
information other than its path. This is to allow the equivalent 'paste'
function in Explorer and other file-accepting GUI applications to work
more intelligently. Unfortunately, Cygwin's /dev/clipboard and
get/putclip only process text formats.

I imagine your X file manager is simply copying a textual representation
of the file path to the clipboard when you choose 'copy' which of course
can be extracted by scripts etc. It appears that Windows Explorer
doesn't also place a textual representation onto the clipboard (the
Windows clipboard allows multiple representations to exist
simultaneously) which is what would be required for Cygwin to use it at
present.

--
Sam Edge