Fwd: Cygwin-X AWT windows snap back after drag in multi-window mode (w/example): long-standing issue

John Harris tamboril@gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 11:38:02 GMT 2022

I'm trying one more posting of this from a month ago hopefully to get
more eyes on it (got no replies last time). I apologize for the
repeat, and will stop if no one has any leads on how to fix this. It's
such a frustrating bug that's easily reproducible and only happens
with Cygwin-X multi window mode.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: John Harris <tamboril@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 10:14 AM
Subject: Cygwin-X AWT windows snap back after drag in multi-window
mode (w/example): long-standing issue
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>

For well over ten years, I (and other developers with the same
configuration) have been experiencing this issue with Cygwin-X in
multi-window mode with Java AWT apps.

The issue is simply that the first time (and only the first time)
certain AWT dialogs are dragged to move them, they snap back to their
original position.

The problem exists across JDK's, computers, cygwin versions, fresh
installs, and everything I've tried.

This can easily be reproduced by compiling (javac) and running (java)
the attached trivial AWT code. If you get this error at runtime:

  Exception in thread "main" java.awt.AWTError: Assistive Technology
not found: org.GNOME.Accessibility.AtkWrapper

...then you need to do these steps:

edit /etc/java-<ver>-openjdk/accessibility.properties, commenting out
the line that reads,
   assistive_technologies=org.GNOME.Accessibility.AtkWrapper

The attached program will demonstrate the issue. Also attached are
(shortened) cygcheck output and the XWin log.