emacs-everywhere

Russell VT russellvt@gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 09:49:32 GMT 2022

On Sun, Mar 6, 2022 at 7:33 PM Eliot Moss <moss@cs.umass.edu> wrote:

> On 3/6/2022 9:00 PM, Russell VT wrote:
> > Are you running Thunderbird under Cygwin (ie. in an "X" environment?),
> or are you running it
> > directly from Windows?
>
> Thanks for responding, Russell.  Directly under Windows.

Ok, that means it's going to need a little bit of "work" to even be "aware"
of the Cygwin environment. So, anything you fork from ThunderBird will need
to have its environment setup "somewhere," or will end up with a "default"
Cygwin environment.

This may make things either much easier, or much more difficult. (depending
on perspective... LOL)

Can it run under Cygwin?  I am running Cygwin/X with
> emacs, xterm, okular, etc.

Well, it sounds like you've already done "the hard work" ... but, given
enough time and resources, ThunderBird can run just about anywhere.

https://developer.thunderbird.net/thunderbird-development/building-thunderbird

I'm not exactly sure anyone has gone down this path, however.

So, the IMPORTANT question is... how do you "normally" invoke this sort of
action from Thunderbird, in your other environments? And, what do "we" need
to change/fix to make it work, like you would like it to work? (Again, I'm
assuming you have this "working" in your other  environments)

After that, HOW do we do it from the command line, in Cygwin?
(presumably with an X environment already present/running)

--
Russell M. Van Tassell <russellvt@gmail.com>