Long window title escape sequence breaks console output

Tomi Belan tomi.belan@gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 15:56:05 GMT 2022

Takashi Yano wrote:
> Thanks for the report. What situation do you assume where
> such a long title needs to be set?

I experienced the bug because my shell is configured to print the
currently running command in the window title. When I ran a command
longer than 256 characters, it looked like the command didn't run. It
actually did run, but ssh.exe ate its output.

Example: https://tldp.org/HOWTO/Xterm-Title-5.html (but I'm not using zsh)

I know this isn't a common configuration, but I still hope you'll fix
it. Since cygwin just uses mailing lists instead of a real persistent
bug tracker, I'm worried about the bug being forgotten forever if it's
not fixed soon.

Truncating the title to 256 WITH the final '\a' is a suboptimal but
acceptable fix. A better idea might be: in non-legacy terminals, don't
even switch from "normal" to "gettitle", just print everything as it
arrives.

I'm not subscribed to the mailing list so I'm manually sending this as
a reply to my first email. Sorry for the mess. Please CC me on future