Wish list: Cygwin `mv` to move OneDrive files without downloading them

Adam Dinwoodie adam@dinwoodie.org
Tue Jun 14 11:25:32 GMT 2022

Microsoft OneDrive has a "Files On-Demand" function, where it will
synchronise file metadata to a local system, but won't actually download
the file content until an application attempts to read the content.
When moving a file within Cygwin using `mv`, the file always gets
downloaded, which seems like it shouldn't be necessary.  Is there any
way to have `mv` (and presumably the underlying rename call) work
without downloading the file content in this circumstance?  It'd
definitely make some of my life easier, but I'm not sure if it's a
trivial issue, one that would require years of work, or somwhere in
between...

As best I can tell, `mv` doesn't need to know the content of the file,
at least as long as it's not moving the file outside of OneDrive; it
feels very similar to me to moving a file within a partition on *nix:
generally it's just a case of updating the directory records, with no
need to look at the file content.

This does work as desired from within PowerShell: PowerShell's
`Move-Item` won't download a file that's not currently stored on the
local system.  So it's presumably possible to achieve this, although I
don't know if it'd rely on non-public Microsoft APIs, and/or lots more
complexity in the Cygwin code.

Simple demonstration below, showing the different behaviours of
PowerShell versus Cygwin.  I've not included a cygcheck.out, as I'm
pretty sure this is much closer to a feature request than a problem
report, but let me know if I've got that wrong.

    PS C:\Users\adinwoodie\OneDrive> # Create a directory and some files to experiment with
    PS C:\Users\adinwoodie\OneDrive> New-Item -Type directory -Name temp

        Directory: C:\Users\adinwoodie\OneDrive

    Mode                 LastWriteTime         Length Name