Updated: coreutils 9.1

Fergus Daly fergusd84@outlook.com
Tue Jun 7 03:21:43 GMT 2022

Since updating from coreutils 8.32 I’m getting a weird glitch from cp.
If /location1/dir1/ contains additional material to /location2/dir1/ (as might frequently be the case when maintaining a backup) then the command
$ cp -vrn /location1/dir1 /location2
should copy the additional material across. (I do this regularly, working in two locations on two machines with a stick to manage the transactions.)
Since updating coreutils, this command yields an error message as follows:
$ cp -vrn /location1/dir1 /location2
/bin/cp: cannot create directory '/location2/dir1': File exists
I haven’t tried any other variations on cp or explored any other commands (e.g. ls) that have altered with the update.
This occurs in both 32-bit and 64-bit Cygwin.
Fergus