Cygwin quiet-mode setup against local Repository authentication issue

Boris Unckel bu.cygwin@mail.unckel.net
Fri Jul 22 04:48:35 GMT 2022

> Achim Gratz <stromeko@nexgo.de> hat am 21.07.2022 18:55 geschrieben:
>

> Boris Unckel writes:
> > we plan to have Cygwin distributed with our Softwarecenter package
> > distribution. The process shall not require any user interaction. Due
> > to security policies we don’t grant users direct access to the
> > internet. The mandatory proxy blocks binary downloads. For this reason
> > we have established a JFrog Artifactory remote repository for the
> > whole Cygwin distribution. Accessing this repository by browser works
> > without any issues, both with and without login.
> […]
> > What can we do pass user / password for the –site destination without
> > UI and without user interaction?
>
> Why do you need user authentication and/or serve the files over HTTP(S)
> instead of just providing a local repository to install from?
>

> Regards,
> Achim.
> --
The current idea is not to fix the set of available cygwin-packages (and/or versions) in a local copy, neither in the softwarecenter-package, nor in a smb share, but to have the chance of updates with the same softwarecenter-package. Currently the softwarecenter-package contains only the setup.exe plus script. We have several distributions running this way (maven, npm, pypi, conda, rpm...)

Regards
Boris