setup and "provides:" on third party repository

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Mon Jan 10 15:55:17 GMT 2022

On 06/01/2022 06:57, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> Hi Jon,
>
> one think that I noted recently is that setup is not storing the
> "provides:" information on the installation.
>
> Noted specially with perl module
>
> perl_base "provides: perl5_032"
>
> perl-gdal "depends2: .. perl5_032, perl_base"
>
> So now, when I use my internal server for test/update, setup proposes to
> uninstall perl-gdal as no package provides perl5_032 and a lot of time
> I missed to note and overwrite the proposal.

This might not happen if you have *both* a cygwin mirror and your
internal package server selected as download sites.

> It is a bit annoying, can you put in the TODO list ?

Yes, we should generally store all the information from setup.ini for a
package when it's installed, but we don't currently (and do some
contortions to make up for that lack).

Adding this is non-trivial because the current installed.db format is
not adequate for that task.