Patches to findutils 4.9.0-1's updatedb to do locking, allow filenames with spaces & progress monitoring, exclude /dev on Cygwin, etc.

Bernhard Voelker mail@bernhard-voelker.de
Sun Feb 27 11:54:23 GMT 2022

On 2/24/22 17:32, Dan Harkless wrote:
> I'm finally getting around to sending in a patch (to bug-findutils and
> the Cygwin list, to which I'm currently subscribed) to address these
> issues, along with some others, a few of which represent small changes
> in behavior:

Thanks for the patch ... but:

a) The patch does not cleanly apply:

  ~/findutils/locate> patch -t < /tmp/updatedb.patch
  patching file updatedb
  Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assuming -R.
  Hunk #2 succeeded at 47 with fuzz 2.
  Hunk #7 FAILED at 167.
  Hunk #8 FAILED at 202.
  Hunk #9 succeeded at 217 (offset -2 lines).
  Hunk #10 succeeded at 276 (offset -2 lines).
  2 out of 10 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file updatedb.rej

b) The patch changes the file 'updatedb' which is created at build time
instead of the file 'updatedb.sh' which is under version control.

c) The description says that there are 10 more or less non-trivial
changes in it.  A squashed diff of 500 lines on a file with 342 lines
makes reviewing and discussing of each topic impossible.

Would you mind re-sending as separate Git patches?

Have a nice day,
Berny