setting up new PC under Windows 11?

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Fri Feb 18 06:14:01 GMT 2022

Greetings, Lester Ingber!

> Since I have always relied on my same USERID

Or user name?

> to tar up and restore most
> of my Cygwin info, I question how to do that going forward?  For
> example, if I simply added a soft link under C:\Users\USERID_11 to my
> current USERID, would that suffice?:
> cd C:/Users/
> ln -s USERID_11  USERID
> would that work OK?

And this is tangential question to both your first half of the message and the
username part. You can have your profile stored anywhere you desire,
especially if this is a completely new profile.

1. Create profile (by login, SIMPLE!)
2. Log out of your profile and login as Administrator.
3. Change profile location of your user to what you desire
(See HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList key)
4. Trash/rename your existing user's profile. If this is a new profile you
don't care about, just trash it and save yourself the time and effort.
5. Log out of Administrator account and login to your user's.
6. Disable Administrator's account.

Neither of this is on topic in this list.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...