Trouble trying to compile apache2

Adam Dinwoodie adam@dinwoodie.org
Wed Feb 16 10:40:43 GMT 2022

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 04:50:22AM -0800, Russell VT wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification, Adam.
>
> I've been meaning/wanting to step up and take care of some Cygwin packages,
> given that it's generally my Unix after from my desktop environment sort of
> arrangement ... and, well, I have a Jenkins server that has some free
> cycles on it (particularly for things like nightly, off-hours
> builds/pipelines).
>
> TLDR; I will start digging in to it, myself... may not have too much spare
> time, at least this week, until the weekend.

FWIW, there's already a bunch of automation available, although it's all
being actively (if slowly) developed, which in particular means the
documentation is lagging behind the actual current implementations.  But
you might be able to make use of the existing infrastructure to get a
head-start without needing to bother with your own Jenkins servers &c.

Some folk are using Scallywag, which uses GitHub Actions to run things
at https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag, and (I think) gets automatically
triggered when maintaners commit to the repos at
https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-package, although I don't think you'll be
able to do that until you're already the official maintainer for a
package.  Getting to that point will probably need you to do your own
builds locally first.

I'm doing things slightly differently, and using GitHub Actions in my
own repositories.  I've been actively working on improving the
automation over the past few weeks; the closest I have to best practices
(at least for my own purposes) is currently spread over the following
two repositories, and I'm planning to produce a more-or-less
standardised boilerplate automation across all my packages over the
coming weeks.  See, in particular, the contents of the .github/workflows
directories for the actual automation configuration.
https://github.com/me-and/Cygwin-AsciiDoc/tree/next
https://github.com/me-and/Cygwin-Git/tree/next

Inevitably a bunch of other maintainers will have their own way of doing
things; I think Scallywag is the closest thing we have to a common CI/CD
setup.  But hopefully some of this might give you pointers to CI/CD
tools that require minimal setup and won't even cost you time on your
own build servers.  Or, at the very least, ideas about what you'll need
to do for your own automation.