Trouble trying to compile apache2

Adam Dinwoodie adam@dinwoodie.org
Tue Feb 15 12:39:41 GMT 2022

On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 11:17:59PM -0800, Russell VT wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 2:26 PM Scott Wood <> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to compile a current version of apache2 httpd under the cygwin64
> > environment. There is an older version of apache2 compiled in cygwin but
> > it's orphaned and didn't include some of the ssl libs I needed.
> >

> Well, I wouldn't call it "orphaned" ... it's just a few dot revisions
> behind. Both 2.4.29 and 2.4.25 seem to be in the package list, and current
> is 2.4.52 (2021/12/20)

>From a formal Cygwin package management perspective, the package is
orphaned.  That is, the page at https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint
lists the package as "ORPHANED", which means nobody is currently taking
specific responsibility for answering questions about the package or
providing updates in future.

That obviously means that volunteers to maintain the package would
almost certainly be gladly received.  I've not looked at how much work
is required to maintain this package, but as a maintainer for some other
packages, I can say it's not a lot of work, particularly if you'd be
getting the package compiling for your own purposes anyway.

If you (where, by "you", I mean anyone reading this!) want to try taking
over the maintainership, there's a bunch of information about what's
required at https://cygwin.com/packaging-contributors-guide.html, and
the packagers' mailing list is active and helpful.  Plus -- while we
seem to have mostly dropped the habit of awarding gold stars to folk
making contributions -- I think adopting an orphaned package is still
worthy of automatic listing at https://cygwin.com/goldstars/

Adam