[EXTERNAL] Re: Cygwin 3.3.4 - cmd to symlinked path doesn't work

BRISLANE Mark mark.brislane@partners.axa
Tue Feb 1 14:03:12 GMT 2022

Hi there,

I wonder if this is OS dependent? I note you're on Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2 (both EOL by the way!) where as I'm on Windows Server 2016.

The server where this works on an older version of Cygwin is Server 2012 R2, and I've copied the cygwin1.dll from that server to my Server 2016 server but the issue still happens.

Regards,
Mark

Internal

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru>
Sent: Tuesday 1 February 2022 12:47
To: BRISLANE Mark <mark.brislane@partners.axa>; cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Cygwin 3.3.4 - cmd to symlinked path doesn't work

Greetings, BRISLANE Mark!

> We had this issue in 3.3.3 and is down as being fixed in 3.3.4-2 but
> perhaps our scenario is slightly different because it's still happening.
> SERVER1 has a folder on D: called folder 1, which is a symlink to
> "\\server2\share\folder1" - created with mklink /D folder1
> \\server2\share\folder1

> DOMAIN+Administrator@SERVER1 /cygdrive/d
> $ ls -l
> total 3
> drwxr-x---+ 1 Administrators SERVER1+None     0 Jan 28 11:03 '$RECYCLE.BIN'
> d---rwx---+ 1 Administrators SYSTEM                0 Jan 25 23:07 'System Volume Information'
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 Administrators DOMAIN+Domain Users   32 Nov  9 10:52  folder1 -> //server2/share/folder1

> DOMAIN+Administrator@SERVER1 /cygdrive/d
> $ cd folder1

> DOMAIN+Administrator@SERVER1 /cygdrive/d/folder1
> $ cmd
> '\\server2\share\folder1'
> CMD.EXE was started with the above path as the current directory.
> UNC paths are not supported.  Defaulting to Windows directory.
> Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
> (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

> C:\Windows>

> This used to work in older versions of Cygwin.

The interesting part is that the behavior is dependent on sequence of events.

`mintty bash -i` in a directory:

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

This email is from AXA Partners. It is strictly confidential and may contain legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, disclose or otherwise use such information. If you have received this email in error please immediately delete it from your system and email us to inform the sender.

AXA France IARD S.A. (Branch No: 624115. French Company No: 722 057 460. ACPR No: 4022109.) and AXA France Vie S.A (Branch No: 62116. French Company No: 310 499 959. ACPR No: 5020051.) have a registered office at Building 7000, Atlantic Avenue, Westpark Business Campus, Shannon, County Clare. Each company is a Société Anonyme registered in France with its registered address at 313, Terrasses de l'Arche, 92000 Nanterre, France. The following are directors of both AXA France IARD S.A. and AXA France Vie S.A.: Jacques de Peretti (French), Alexis Babeau (French), Alain Dubois (French), Renée Habozit (French), Sandra le Grand (French), Cécile Moulard (French), Alban de Mailly Nesle (French). Martine Bievre (French) is a director AXA France IARD S.A. Christine Sinibardy (French) is a director of AXA France Vie S.A.

AXA France IARD S.A. and AXA France Vie S.A. both trade under the name of 'AXA Partners – Credit & Lifestyle Protection', are authorised by Autorité de Contrôle Prudential et de Résolution (ACPR) in France and are regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland for conduct of business rules.

AXA Partners S.A.S. (Branch No: 908621. French Company No: 813 778 412 RCS Nanterre. Orias No: 15006083) has its registered office at Building 7000, Atlantic Avenue, Westpark Business Campus, Shannon, County Clare. Sophie Latil (French) is the President and CEO of the company.  The company is a private limited company registered in France with its registered address at 313 Terrasses de L’Arche, 92727 Nanterre Cedex, France.

AXA Partners S.A.S. trades under the name of  'AXA Partners – Credit & Lifestyle Protection',  is authorised by ORIAS in France and is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland for conduct of business rules.