[EXTERNAL] Re: Strange behavior when executing programs

Mon Dec 12 15:20:36 GMT 2022

On Dec 12 14:52, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] via Cygwin wrote:
> > Let's consider this problem again, but I don't see a quick and easy
> > solution.
>
> $ realpath /cygdrive/s/ado/msadox.dll
> /cygdrive/s/ado/msadox.dll            <====== IMO the problem is actually here
>
> $ realpath msadox.dll
> /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Common Files/System/ado/msadox.dll
>
> Both paths should start with /cygdrive/c, and then those would be identical
> (and, hence, I suppose for the purposes of the OP).
>
> A substed drive is nothing BUT a symlink, should be treated no differently than
> /cygdrive/s -> /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Common Files/System

I agree, and that was how I tried implementing it back when.

The problem is that resolved paths may become longer than MAX_PATH.  So
people want to keep the paths with intact substituted drive prefix to
run native commands from Cygwin.

Corinna