Sharing my packages for CYGWIN

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sun Dec 4 18:45:41 GMT 2022

On 18/11/2022 14:32, Keith Christian wrote:
> Carlo,
>
> Since you are successfully creating Cygwin packages, one thing that
> would be very helpful is a detailed set of instructions for cygport to
> create a Cygwin package from source.
> There are instructions posted on the Cygwin website and other info
> about cygport, but I have not found a comprehensive document that
> makes packaging nearly "mistake-proof" for uninitiated packagers.
> (Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.)

I know our documentation could be improved, but you seem to be asking
for something which seems impossible.

Some pieces of software are complex and very hard to package, and even
experienced packagers can make mistakes.

Can you perhaps explain more specifically where you get stuck in the
process, and cannot find help?

> E.g., I want to create an up to date Ansible package for personal use,
> as the current version in Cygwin is 2.8.4, and it appears Ansible is
> up to at least 2.10.7, as that version is available in Debian
> Bullseye.

As [1] suggests, you should start by taking the existing package and
updating the version number.

Hopefully it just works, but we cannot possibly anticipate all of the
package-specific problems that might arise.

[1] https://cygwin.com/packaging-contributors-guide.html#adopt