error: CYGWIN_NT-10.0-x86_64 is not supported (yet?) on Windows 10

John Balkunas johnbalkunas@outlook.com
Sun Apr 24 18:47:20 GMT 2022

Thank you!  This looks like it may help.

---- 8< ----

From: Cygwin <cygwin-bounces+johnbalkunas=outlook.com@cygwin.com> on behalf of Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca>
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 1:08 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: error: CYGWIN_NT-10.0-x86_64 is not supported (yet?) on Windows 10

On 2022-04-24 08:02, John Balkunas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed Cywin64 Terminal so that I can compile chrony-4.2 for use with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I used the Cygwin Setup program/installer named setup-x86_64.exe for 64 bit Windows.  The install appeared to go well.  After the install, from within the Cywin64 Terminal, I see the following 3 results:
>
> Command: "cygcheck -V"
> Result:
> cygcheck (cygwin) 3.3.4
> System Checker for Cygwin
> Copyright (C) 1998 - 2022 Cygwin Authors
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
>
> Command: "gcc --version"
> Result:
> gcc (GCC) 11.2.0
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
>
> Command: "g++ --version"
> Result:
> g++ (GCC) 11.2.0
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
>
> Thus, this leads me to think everything is ready to go on my Win10 machine for compiling.  However, when I switch to the directory I unpacked the chrony-4.2 to and run the "./configure" command (I used no switches) from within the Cygwin64 Terminal I see the following:
>
> Command: "./configure"
> Result:
> error: CYGWIN_NT-10.0-x86_64 is not supported (yet?)
>
> I have tried searching for this error (was really hard trying to go through the Cygwin web archives) and haven't seen it discussed.  I am pretty computer literate, but at this juncture I'm not sure how to proceed.  I've compiled a few programs before (from within Linux), have done some programming in the past, but am in no way "comfortable" or that knowledgeable about it and am officially stuck.
>
> ANY responses would likely be appreciated.  Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions/clues!

BTDT, IIRC too many Linux dependencies.
Still running NTP from Meinberg:

https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_stable
https://www.meinbergglobal.com/download/ntp/windows/ntp-4.2.8p15-v2-win32-setup.exe
https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp-server-monitor.htm
https://www.meinbergglobal.com/download/ntp/windows/time-server-monitor/ntp-time-server-monitor-104.exe

You can download the sources and build the daemon and utilities with
older VS releases, but Meinberg provides a service installer and monitor
utility.

With serial driver and PPS DLL, service and other setup tweaking, you
can run a serial GPS with PPS at Realtime priority and get microsecond
stability.

Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html