Deadlock of the process tree when running make

Alexey Izbyshev izbyshev@ispras.ru
Wed Apr 13 16:48:04 GMT 2022

On 2022-04-11 13:10, Alexey Izbyshev wrote:
> On 2022-04-11 11:35, Takashi Yano wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 23:49:29 +0300
>> A countermeasure version is available at the following location:
>> https://tyan0.yr32.net/cygwin/x86/test/cygwin1-20220411.dll.xz
>> https://tyan0.yr32.net/cygwin/x86_64/test/cygwin1-20220411.dll.xz
>>
>> Could you please test? To keep the hanging tree, please install
>> cygwin another directory, and replace cygwin1.dll with the
>> countermeasure version.
>>
> Thank you for providing the binaries! I've started testing in a
> separate cygwin installation on the same machine, as you suggested.
> The hang previously took many hours to reproduce, so I'll keep tests
> running for a while and then report back.

The good news is that the tests have been running for two days so far
without any cygwin-related issues, so the patched version doesn't seem
to introduce new issues.

The bad news is my theory about the suspicious "Unnamed file:
\FileSystem\Npfs" in the hanging bash.exe being a leak seems to be
wrong. I've closed that handle, but conhost.exe hasn't unblocked. All of
its threads are doing the same things as before:

1. Tries to enter a critical section. (Task Manager claims it waits for
thread 4, so probably the latter owns it).
2. ReadFile("pty1-from-master-nat" named pipe)
3. Waits for an anonymous event.
4. Waits on a handle for "\Device\ConDrv" (in DeviceIoControl()).
5. Blocked in GetMessageW().

I've created a model situation with bash.exe stopped at a breakpoint in
ClosePseudoConsole() at another machine again, and it seems that the
last time I missed that bash.exe contains *two* handles for (different)
"Unnamed file: \FileSystem\Npfs" here too, so it seems to be normal.

What's probably not normal is the behavior of the hanging conhost.exe.
I've compared the points where conhost.exe is blocked, and all but one
threads in the model case are doing the same things as in the hanging
case, but the remaining thread is blocked in
ReadFile("\Device\NamedPipe\") (i.e. the read end of "hWritePipe" of
pcon) instead of trying to enter a critical section like thread 1 above.
So now I'm starting to doubt that it's a cygwin bug and not some
conhost.exe bug.

I'll try to poke around the hanging conhost.exe some more, and also may
be will try to create a faster reproducer.

Thanks for your help so far,
Alexey