Deadlock of the process tree when running make

Takashi Yano takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp
Mon Apr 11 08:35:26 GMT 2022

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 23:49:29 +0300
Alexey Izbyshev wrote:
> On 2022-04-10 15:13, Alexey Izbyshev wrote:
> > On 2022-04-10 10:34, Takashi Yano wrote:
> >> On Sat, 09 Apr 2022 23:26:51 +0300
> >> Thanks for investigating. In the normal case, conhost.exe is
> >> terminated
> >> when hWritePipe is closed.
> >
> > Thanks for confirming.
> >

> >> Possibly, the hWritePipe has incorrect handle value.
> >
> > I've verified that the handle was correct by attaching via gdb to the
> > hanging bash and checking that hWritePipe field is now zeroed (which
> > happens only in the branch where _HandleIsValid returns true and
> > hWritePipe is closed).
> >
> > I've found something interesting though. I've modeled a similar
> > situation on another machine:
> >
> > 1. I've run a native process via bash.
> > 2. I've attached to bash via gdb and set a breakpoint on
> > ClosePseudoConsole().
> > 3. I've killed the native process.
> > 4. The breakpoint was hit, and I looked at hWritePipe value.
> >
> > ProcessHacker shows it as "Unnamed file: \FileSystem\Npfs". Both bash
> > and conhost had a single handle with such name, and after I've
> > forcibly closed it in the bash process (while it was still suspended
> > by gdb), conhost.exe indeed died.
> >
> > Then I looked at the original hanging tree and found that the hanging
> > bash.exe still has a single handle displayed as "Unnamed file:
> > \FileSystem\Npfs". I don't know how to check what kernel object it
> > refers to, but at least its access rights are the same as for
> > hWritePipe that I've seen on another machine, and its handle count is
> > 1. So could it be another copy of hWritePipe, e.g. due to some handle
> > leak?
> >
> > I don't know how to verify whether this suspicious handle in bash.exe
> > is paired with "Unnamed file: \FileSystem\Npfs" in conhost.exe, other
> > than by forcibly closing it. If I close it and conhost.exe dies, it
> > will confirm "the extra handle" theory, but will also prevent further
> > investigation with the hanging tree. Do you have any advice?
> >
> I've found something that looked strange to me by checking handles in
> the hanging process tree: the hanging conhost.exe and the hanging
> bash.exe belong to different tests. Each test is a separate shell script
> in a separate make recipe, so it looks like conhost.exe was created by
> one test (which is still hanging at a later point in its script, trying
> to run grep), but then bash.exe belonging to another test somehow got a
> pseudoconsole referring to this conhost.exe and now hangs trying to
> close it. So it looks that Cygwin migrated the pseudoconsole between
> processes, and indeed fhandler_pty_slave::close_pseudoconsole() contains
> something looking like migration logic. And this logic contains the
> following call:
>
> DuplicateHandle (GetCurrentProcess (),
>                   ttyp->h_pcon_write_pipe,
>                   new_owner, &new_write_pipe,
>                   0, TRUE, DUPLICATE_SAME_ACCESS);
>
> Is it safe to create an *inheritable* handle in another process here?
> [...]

Thanks for finding that! As you pointed out, hWritePipe should not
be inheritable. That might be the cause.

A countermeasure version is available at the following location:
https://tyan0.yr32.net/cygwin/x86/test/cygwin1-20220411.dll.xz
https://tyan0.yr32.net/cygwin/x86_64/test/cygwin1-20220411.dll.xz

Could you please test? To keep the hanging tree, please install
cygwin another directory, and replace cygwin1.dll with the
countermeasure version.

If you want to setup another sshd, please use the command such as:
ssh-host-config --name cygsshd2 --port 2222

To remove sshd installed using above command:
cygrunsrv -E cygsshd2
cygrunsrv -R cygsshd2

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>