Deadlock of the process tree when running make

Takashi Yano takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp
Sat Apr 9 10:17:43 GMT 2022

On Fri, 08 Apr 2022 00:53:31 +0300
Alexey Izbyshev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using 32-bit Cygwin 3.3.4 on 64-bit Windows 10 21H2. When running
> parallel make (for testing my project), very rarely I get the whole
> process tree hanging at some seemingly random point. An example of such
> a tree:
>
> make-+-make-+-bash---find
>       |      |-bash---find
>       |      |-bash---find
>       |      |-bash---find
>       |      |-bash---find
>       |      `-bash---javac
>       `-make-+-bash---bash---bash---readlink
>              `-bash---bash---bash-+-grep
>                                   `-grep
>
> (In the above tree, javac is the zombie parent of a native javac, and
> the latter doesn't exist at this point).
>
> I got such hang two times while running make in a loop for several days.
> ProcessHacker shows that all leaf processes are single-threaded and are
> stuck on WaitForSingleObject().
>
> I've skimmed git log of cygwin-3_3-branch after cygwin-3_3_4-release,
> but couldn't find anything that seems definitely related.
>
> Has anybody seen something like this?
>
> Is there any way I can get useful data for diagnosing this hang from the
> process tree that I currently have hanging (I'm going to keep it for
> now)? Otherwise, what would be the best strategy?

Attaching gdb to the hanging process and dumping stack by 'bt'
command for each thread may diagnose more detail.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>