[ANNOUNCEMENT] cygwin 3.3.0-0.1.9814cfd8f693 (TEST)

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sun Sep 19 12:27:42 GMT 2021

On 9/19/2021 2:42 AM, ASSI wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure the GNU coding standards have required
>> it since day 1.  Automake generates tons of makefile real estate just
>> for this.
>
> I don't see that requirement in the current document:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html
>
> There is a requirement that the sources for such files are provided
> alongside the instruction on how to re-generate them.

I'm not sure how much we should worry about the GNU standards for release
tarballs.  Those standards are written for GNU projects, which are supposed to
run on many different systems.  The cygwin package runs only on Cygwin.

On the other hand, maybe we could do a better job of documenting how to rebuild
a package from source via cygport.

Ken