[ANNOUNCEMENT] cygwin 3.3.0-0.1.9814cfd8f693 (TEST)

ASSI Stromeko@nexgo.de
Sun Sep 19 06:42:26 GMT 2021

Hans-Bernhard Bröker writes:
> It _is_ very surprising for tarballs, though.  Those are generally
> expected  to be buildable without having to run autoconf, automake,
> gettext, etc.

To provide a different data point: I generally remove all obviously
generated files before even starting to look at the rest of the build if
I use a release tarball.

> I'm pretty sure the GNU coding standards have required
> it since day 1.  Automake generates tons of makefile real estate just
> for this.

I don't see that requirement in the current document:

https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html

There is a requirement that the sources for such files are provided
alongside the instruction on how to re-generate them.

Regards,
Achim.