autorebase and user-installed dynamic objects

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sat Sep 18 22:51:31 GMT 2021

Achim,

In preparation for using emacs's new native compilation feature, I've been
experimenting with using autorebase to rebase the *.eln files created in a
user's home directory.  As a start, I created a file

   /var/lib/rebase/user.d/kbrown

containing the line

   /home/kbrown/.emacs.d/eln-cache .

I also modified /usr/bin/rebaseall and /usr/bin/rebaselst so that they would
recognize 'eln' as a suffix of a file needing to be rebased.  I then ran setup
and let it do its autorebase, but the *.eln files didn't get rebased.

Looking into /usr/bin/rebaselst, I think I see the problem.  The function
rebase_user() greps the file /var/lib/rebase/user.d/kbrown for the relevant
suffixes, instead of looking for files in /home/kbrown/.emacs.d/eln-cache.
Shouldn't rebase_user use a variable "userLocs" analogous to the variable
"dynLocs" used by rebase_dyn()?  Or am I completely misunderstanding how this is
supposed to work?

Thanks.

Ken