mmap failure [was: cygrunsrv + sshd + rsync = 20 times too slow -- throttled?]

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Mon Sep 6 17:43:12 GMT 2021

On 9/6/2021 1:38 PM, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
> On 9/6/2021 1:12 PM, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:

>>> Are the const's I added to the MEM_EXTENDED_PARAMETER data invalid,
>>> perhaps?
>>
>> I tried removing them, and I got the same error.  I also tried removing static, and I tried
>> removing both static and const.
>
> BTW, when I reported that the test case succeeds under gdb, that only happens when I build the test
> case without optimization.  If I build with -O2, it fails under gdb also.  [In all my tests, I built
> cygwin1.dll without optimization.] This makes no sense to me at all.

There can be a number of possibilities, but I wonder about a variable
uninitialized along some path.  By accident, the contents may have a
non-failing value with -O0 by the situation can be different for -O2.
If you're dealing with concurrency and such, then -O0 and -O2 can act
differently with respect to races.  Just some thoughts ...

Best - Eliot Moss