[HEADSUP] Phasing out old Windows versions and 32 bit support

Michel LaBarre michel.labarre@rogers.com
Wed Oct 27 14:57:00 GMT 2021

> > Would it be possible to create a short "how-to" for installing the most
> > recently "known-to-work-with-Windows-7" version of Cygwin (presuming
that
> > old versions remain accessible indefinitely...).  Alternately, how one
can
> > download a repository now that is compatible with Windows 7 and useable
for
> > installing Cygwin in anticipation of the upcoming loss of support.
>
> As these milestones occur I will make notes in the Cygwin Time Machine
> concerning the ending release snapshot and installers, like what I have

> for the last XP release.
[Michel LaBarre]

Peter, thanks for reminding me of the Time Machine.  I had heard of it but
never had occasion to use it.

If I understand the "dead simple instructions" correctly, to install the
latest XP-compatible 64-bit Cygwin for example, I would run (on an XP
system):

  setup-x86_64-2.874.exe
http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/64bit/2016/08/3
0/104235 -X

and all the correct packages would be presented in the setup GUI and fetched
from your archive.

And I could re-run the same command to install additional packages.

If that is the correct, perhaps in the case of iconic last-versions
(XP,Win7,...), you might explicitly list "deader simpler instructions" with
the actual setup invocations referring to the correct archives.

(Thanks in advance - the time machine is huge service.)