[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: less-581.2-1

Sun Oct 3 19:26:17 GMT 2021

On 2021-09-18 12:01, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2021-05-02 04:04, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> New version 581.2-1 of
>>    less
>> is available in the Cygwin distribution
>
> Running less +F <FILE> (follow ) or less +G <FILE> then F or less <FILE>
> then F does not seem to work (since at least v 530) on logs updated
> every second or so or longer, showing only the last line(s) when
> started, unlike tail -f or xtail:

> $ for ((i = 1; i < 10000000; ++i)); do
>    echo $i $i $i $i $i $i $i $i $i $i $i $i $i $i $i $i $i $i $i $i $i
>    sleep 1
> done > t & less +F t
> [wait]
> ^C
> $ kill %1

It appears the issue may be with lessopen, and mostly works if you use
-L to disable lessopen, but NUL chars are displayed around startup, so
it's not as clean as:

	$ tail -n$COLUMNS -f ... | less +F

Maybe lessopen is disabled when input is from stdin?

I will test with the new release and see if it's better.