xinetd: PID 2280: Service tftp missing attribute user - DISABLING

ilya Basin basinilya@gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 07:21:15 GMT 2021

Hi. I installed xinetd and tftp-server recently, ran xinetd-config and tftpd-config, and enabled /etc/xinetd.d/tftp. However, I was getting the following error in Windows Event log:

    xinetd: PID 2280: Service tftp missing attribute user - DISABLING

Workaround:

   # The xinetd user name must exist in /etc/passwd
   # We have to strip "MYHOST+" from "MYHOST+cyg_server" to make xinetd match the entry
   mkpasswd.exe | sed 's/^[^:]*\(cyg_server\):/\1/;t;d' >>/etc/passwd

Commenting "user=cyg_server" is not needed and won't help because then xinetd looks for the current user in /etc/passwd

By the way, cygsshd runs fine as NT_AUTHORITY\SYSTEM on Windows 10 and can serve both local and domain users. I just had to strip the machine prefix in /etc/passwd for the local users. Perhaps /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/xinetd.README is outdated?