zp_man-db-update-index.dash creates C:\cygwin64\%SystemDrive%

Thu Nov 25 07:59:39 GMT 2021

On 2021-11-24 12:54, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Brian Inglis writes:
>> Problem mentioned by me some time ago, may be related to this, from
>> undocumented mandb handling of Windows localization catalog folders:

> It isn't, which could have easily been tested.

Are you saying that the <CygwinRoot>/%SystemDrive% issue is unrelated to
mandb execution, contrary to the information from the OP?

How can it be tested, as I would like to do so, as I get those symptoms.

I found that when setup is executed, as the PATH sanitized for scripts
includes cygpath -S, mandb appears to search directories in the Windows
PATH, for cat... directories, may remove the contents, even when they
are not manual pages, and may perform other poorly or undocumented
operations.

>> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2018-January/235776.html
>>
>> which may include moving "stray cats" (also undocumented) to /
>> [Cygwin] root so they get noticed and handled?

> That's most likely caused by configuring the C:\ drive as the root of
> Cygwin and/or additional configurations not mentioned by the OP. You'd
> have to run man-db in debugging / dry-run mode to see how it gets to the
> conclusion that it should scan all those sub-directories and
> sub-sub-directories in the root. It doesn't do that by default and I am
> unable to reproduce it.

That is not the case in either the OP C:\cygwin64\ or my own setup.

It appears that mandb climbs the tree trying to find related bin and man
dirs.

It may be having shared man and "stray" cat dirs for other Windows
package commands, cmd, Windows utilities, and systems (-m) under
/proc/cygdrive/c/usr/local/.
I don't know any other way I could keep the system level shared contents
accessible while isolating it.