Add libtool use to autotools package

Sun Nov 7 17:23:06 GMT 2021

Hi folks,

I am trying to port:

	https://github.com/Bill-Gray/PDCursesMod/tree/master/x11

as Xcurses to build THE-X11 on Cygwin.

Has anyone got any (sources of) advice for adding recent libtool support
to a recent autotools package that does not use libtool (uses Linux
commands).

The autobook is outdated and resembles nothing in current packages'
configure.ac using libtool.
Using libtoolize with explanations of what it actually does other than
under autoreconf, giving real definitions and examples rather than
simple toys in a foo package, is not covered anywhere I can find.
Autotools documentation appears to be written assuming the reader is a
developer with comprehensive knowledge and understanding of autotools,
so the information provided is either redundant or useless, depending on
whether you already know what they are talking about, which renders the
documentation less useful for packagers trying to get packages to build!
Other autotools "documentation" suggests libtool is outdated, to be
avoided, and offers alternatives to autotools!

Some questions I may need to be able to answer to move forward:
What are the important source package considerations to know?
Should I run libtoolize with all defaults in the source package src
directory and/or the x11 subdirectory?
Should I add LT_INIT to configure.ac/.in?
Should I add parameter [win32-dll]?
Should I add ABI age and current version info and where to?
Are there other files that need to be manually added or modified for
libtool to work?
Is there an approach documented somewhere for converting Linux library
commands to generic libtool commands?