Building resource-only DLL under Cygwin.

Fri May 21 05:09:11 GMT 2021

On 2021-05-20 18:33, Kaz Kylheku via Cygwin wrote:
> I was just wondering; have any of you ever tried to build a resource-only DLL using the Cygwin toolchain environment?
>
> I mean, starting with a .rc file, build a .res, and then link it into a working resource-only DLL?
>
> I know that adding resources to executables is perfectly possible; I'm specifically asking about resource-only DLLs.
>
> If you use Microsoft's tools, you must specify the /NOENTRY linker option to indicate that the object has no DllMain.
>
> Can we do the analog of this with the GNU-based toolchain on Cygwin?

Not done it - but should be doable - normal MS approach to L14N.

 From the links near the bottom, it looks like if you want or need a DllMain,
you have to write and build it, as would be expected, so just don't do that!

See what mintty and setup do with their resources in their build processes:

<https://github.com/mintty/mintty/blob/master/src/res.rc>
<https://github.com/mintty/mintty/blob/master/src/Makefile#L159>

<https://cygwin.com/git/?p=cygwin-apps/setup.git;a=blob;f=res.rc>
<https://cygwin.com/git/?p=cygwin-apps/setup.git;a=blob;f=Makefile.am#l275>