preventing setup from forking

Adam Dinwoodie adam@dinwoodie.org
Tue May 18 20:39:45 GMT 2021

On Tue, 18 May 2021 at 10:13, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin wrote:

> On 17.05.2021 23:12, Jason Pyeron wrote:

I believe it's nothing to do with the program name, and everything to
do with how the UAC permissions work: if you run the setup program
with the -B argument so it won't check it's running with Administrator
permissions, or run it from a parent process that already has
Administrator permissions, you'll get the behaviour you might expect.
If you run it without -B and from an unelevated context, then the
installer will elevate to Administrator before it does anything else,
and that means the calling context -- cmd or anything else -- won't
get any feedback from the installer, so it returns straight away.