[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: python packages

Sun Mar 7 21:20:03 GMT 2021

On 2021-03-07 13:44, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:

>>> Currently python3 is a meta-package whose main purpose is to require the
>>> default python version (currently python38).  Marco, couldn't you just make
>>> python3-foo a meta-package that requires the corresponding python*-foo
>>> (currently python38-foo)?

>> the issue is that Cygport creates the "obsolete" python3-foo
>> that is replaced by python36-foo automatically.
>>
>> we should change cygport to use python38 instead
>> $ cat python3-lxml/python3-lxml-4.6.2-1.hint
>> category: _obsolete
>> requires: python36-lxml
>> sdesc: "Obsoleted by python36-lxml"
>> ldesc: "The python3-lxml package is obsolete.  Selecting this package for
>> installation will cause the python36-lxml package, which replaces this
>> one, to be installed instead."
>> external-source: python-lxml

> As long as you have to patch cygport anyway, maybe it would be better to have
> cygport create an empty (but not obsolete) package.  I think users might find it
> confusing that they have to install an obsolete package to get what they want.
> Also, obsolete packages are normally hidden in the setup UI.

Hidden generic/virtual package selections in Debian apt/-get and other package
managers are annoying as users (I!) don't know how to do anything when they find
out about them e.g.

	$ apt show exim
	Package: exim
	State: not a real package (virtual)
	N: Can't select candidate version from package exim as it has no candidate
	N: Can't select versions from package 'exim' as it is purely virtual
	N: No packages found

Suggest adding a category like ~Generic or ~Virtual to sort out of the way but
be selectable if you search for Python, Perl, Ruby, etc.

I have been unable to find any definitive category list where that might be
checked, except in cygwin-apps/calm/genini, and I believe that is not being used
any more, as it is missing Debug but includes obsolete Mingw.