Cygwin now on Python 3? What about Mercurial?

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 18:32:45 GMT 2021

On 04.03.2021 16:19, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
> On 3/4/2021 6:05 AM, marco atzeri via Cygwin wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 10:27 AM Russell VT via Cygwin  wrote:
>>>
>>> Cygwin Enthusiasts!
>>>
>>> Well, I was going to hold back on this one, but having now watched
>>> the list
>>> for a bit, I think this is a fair question (feel free to smack me if I'm
>>> feeling too entitled, albeit maybe a bit on the rambling side).
>>>
>>> TLDR; Cygwin 64 Mercurial (5.5.1) blows chunks with default Python
>>> install.
>>> I'm still not sure if this is a package dependency error, given the
>>> recent
>>> Python 2.7 Deprecation "worldwide," or the way that Mercurial is
>>> packaged,
>>> or even if the package installation order on-down the line screwed me
>>> up at
>>> some point in the past.
>>>
>>> TLDR2; Am I really the "only" one on Cygwin still using Mercurial in a
>>> Complex Python Environment?
>>>
>>> Here;s my primary operating environment, devoid of whatever tricks I may
>>> try to play with Python Development environments (read: Path to /usr/bin
>>> with no funny stuff getting in the way)
>>> .
>>
>> Hi Russel,
>>
>> short term solution is the same mentioned here
>> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin/2021-January/247657.html
>>
>> It seems the current package maintainer for Mercurial is not available
>> for
>> the upgrade from 2.7 to 3.8.
>> We need to decide how to proceed
>
> The Mercurial maintainer (Jari) doesn't always follow the mailing list.
> I've added him to the CC.
>
> Ken

Thanks Ken,

I already tried that route on Cygwin-apps
I am afraid he is out of reach, hoping nothing serious happened.

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2021-February/041088.html

REgards
Marco