Custom locales seem not to work

Sat Jun 26 20:10:13 GMT 2021

On 2021-06-26 13:29, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2021-06-26 08:58, Алекса -скрыто- via Cygwin wrote:
>>> I have never seen ie used as a language code under Linux systems, and it
>>> is interlingual, associated with unspecified territory code XX, so you
>>> would have to set each locale category separately to achieve the desired
>>> effects: fr_CH or en_US.
>
>> ... the locale should be set to "ie_XX.UTF-8", which the locale data
>> provides, not "C" like Cygwin does now.

If you setup non-interoperable custom locales, it is likely that Cygwin
may not be seeing anything it can map, so will default to the hardwired
built-in C/POSIX locale.

You need to help us diagnose what, if anything, Cygwin may be seeing
from your custom Windows locale.

What does Cygwin show when you run the locale dump command from a shell:

     $ for o in -s -u -i -n -f ''; do locale $o; done

> Which are non-interoperable Windows-only totally meaningless language
> and territory values to Cygwin startup or any Cygwin, Linux, or Unix
> program based on Unix libraries or code, so everything might map to the
> system default locale at best, or hardwired built-in C/POSIX locale at
> worst.
>
> That custom locale would be better if developed as a fr_CH replacement
> or supplementary Windows locale.

It might also help if you followed the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines:

	https://cygwin.com/problems.html

and attached the required output as plain text to your next response.