bug in cygwin tar reading unexpected input(s)...

L A Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Tue Jun 15 21:13:01 GMT 2021

On 2021/06/15 00:16, Russell VT wrote:
> I think we need more context, here... as what does Windows versus Cygwin
> think those permissions are...???
---
	Which permissions?  The error is 'no such object', not
'access denied'.  I believe it is similar to trying to read (or
modify) xattr's or acl's on linux symlinks.

> Are you running your terminal, as you... or did you run it as Administrator?
---
	I am in group Administrators as well as Domain Admins
(Samba Domain).  Domain Admins and System are both in the
local Administrators group.

> Have you run an update, and not rebooted?
---
	I don't believe so at that time, but I have rebooted since then.
The problem only occurred on files that were symlinks as seen by Windows
and Cygwin.

> There should be some "basic shell debugging" done here, first...
---
	I'm not sure what you mean.  Oops, I forgot to list the
command line, but thought that "--xattrs" might be implied from the
fact that the error was about retrieving xattrs.

	Cmdline was using shell script calling a function, "backup_dir"
with "ProgramData" from the root directory, where the function was:

backup_dir() {
  my DIR=${1:?}
  tar c --acls --xattrs --sparse -b 2048 --one-file-system "$DIR" |
    dd bs=1M iflag=fullblock of="/b/June_backups/$DIR" oflag=nonblock
}

> since
> there's a disconnect from when tar gets its file list, and when it
> physically goes to retrieve a (possibly temporary) file. It will also
> complain about directories it can read, but not access.
---
	Those were symlinks, not directories.
> So, it would be
> better to figure out what the "difference" is between what you expect,
> and what actually happened with the tar.
---
	I would expect it might not complain about not being
able to read xattr's on symlinks?  I don't think it complains about
not being able to read them on linux -- or at least I've never seen
such.

> Unfortunately, permission issues between Windows and Cygwin can be
> */extremely/* complex (ie. there are a ton of details missing here,
> which might make it easier to help troubleshoot).
---
	What necessary details are missing?

> Hope that helps point you in a good direction.
---
	Not sure. I thought I was reporting a bug in cygwin tar
giving an error about trying to read xattrs on symlinks, as I don't
believe it gives an error on linux doing the same thing.  Does it?
Thanks for your questions, but I'm still not very clear on what
I left out.

	I'd tend to ignore the error on what appeared to be
a misspelled filename, as I'm not even sure how to recreate
that file, but attempting to dump xattrs on a symlink seems like
a pretty straight forward symptom/testcase.  What more details
do you think would be pertinent?

Thanks!
-Linda