Python for Windows reports wrong local time when run under Cygwin on Europe/Moscow TZ

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sat Jun 12 22:44:46 GMT 2021

On 6/12/2021 12:34 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2021-06-11 12:05, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:

> See original message:
>
>      https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin/2012-January/199548.html
>
> Looks like the tzdb metadata is not fully populated, including zone
> abbreviations, though that could be patched to use <%z> like tzdata defaults
> where countries use only a single local time zone and no name (other than
> COUNTRY time, and maybe Winter Time or Summer Time, as in many European countries).
>
>>> I would expect that date, ls, etc. would output UTC, or perhaps PST or EST,
>>> depending on tzdata builds of Factory (tz -00/unset) and posixrules (Cygwin
>>> PST, Debian EST) and use during system setup and startup, unless
>>> /etc/timezone and/or /etc/localtime are set, and used during startup, often
>>> by systemd, or login by profiles.
>>
>> No, you can 'unset TZ' and everything works fine.  Try it yourself.
>
> It works incorrectly before 2007 because of DST rule changes.
 > [...]

You obviously know much more about this than I do.  I'm going to drop out of
this discussion and leave it to people who know what they're talking about.

Ken