Python for Windows reports wrong local time when run under Cygwin on Europe/Moscow TZ

Keith Thompson Keith.S.Thompson@gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 22:31:06 GMT 2021

[Sorry if the threading is messed up.  I don't subscribe, so I'm
constructing this message from the web interface.  It should at least
show up under the correct subject.]

Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2021-06-08 14:03, Mike Kaganski via Cygwin wrote:
> > On 08.06.2021 16:04, L A Walsh wrote:
> >> You might ask on a python list if anyone else has experienced
> >> something similar with python or any other program.  I'm fairly sure
> >> that neither MS nor cygwin design their OS with python in mind and
> >> that it is python that is interacting funny when running under some
> >> merge of both.  Have you asked the python people about this problem?
> >> What did they suggest?
> >
> > FTR: filed https://bugs.python.org/issue44352.
>
> See Keith Thompson subthread and my reply with suggested fix:
>
> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2021-June/248692.html
>
> Windows does not recognize zoneinfo time zone identifiers in TZ only
> base format POSIX TZ strings with three alphabetic character identifiers:
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/c-runtime-library/reference/tzset?view=msvc-160
>
> That assumes US switch date "rules": for all years up to current, or
> just DST, and whether pre- or post-2007 is unstated!
>
> Otherwise it defaults to regional settings, used by Cygwin to map to
> zoneinfo time zone identifiers, so if Python for Windows could clear TZ
> before it is read by MSVCRT, it should DTRT.
>
> Windows does not recognize expanded POSIX TZ format strings with <>
> quoted alphanumeric characters, "-", "+", and start and end dates/times:
>
> https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap08.html#bottom
>
> which make them usable outside of the US.

with Windows.

The suggestion is to modify Python for Windows so it can deal with
the TZ format used by Cygwin.  I haven't used Python for Windows, but
as far as I know it's unrelated to Cygwin; rather it, like Cygwin, is
intended to work on top of Windows.  I'm not convinced it's appropriate
to ask Python for Windows to make a change purely for the sake of
interoperating with Cygwin, which many PfW users presumably aren't
even using.

I've run into another application that has problems with Cygwin's
settings of $TZ.  It was a internal test application that isn't
going to change its timezone handling just for this problem.

The ideal solution would be for Windows to recognize TZ values like
"America/Los_Angeles", but that's not likely to happen any time soon.

My suggestion, since Cygwin is supposed to interoperate with Windows,
is one of the following:

- Cygwin should avoid setting TZ to a value that Windows doesn't recognize
  (if I set TZ=PST8PDT, everything seems to work correctly); OR

- Cygwin shouldn't set TZ at all by default.  (I've updated my
  $HOME/.bash_profile on Cygwin to unset TZ, and Cygwin commands seem
  to work correctly with TZ unset); OR

- Cygwin, when invoking a non-Cygwin executable, should first either
  unset TZ or translate it to a format that Windows will recognize.
  I have no idea how difficult that would be.