using ssh-agent in cygwin

Jesse Thompson jesset@gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 19:42:35 GMT 2021

*TL:DR;* I'm looking for options to reliably start and manage an ssh-agent
daemon in Cygwin.

Using ssh-agent in cygwin seems very compelling. OpenSSH client
config AddKeysToAgent option and ssh-agent -t option allow me to keep keys
unlocked for limited times the way that I'd like, and unlock upon use
instead of upon login, and avoid having to manually ssh-add.

But I'm left with the issue of "how can all of my shell windows use the
same daemon" and "how can I get the daemon to start automatically without
spawning an army of unmanaged zombies"?

I have to assume that ssh-agent is very popular to use, and that
copy-pasting 6-12 lines of fragile, custom bash code into one's profile
doesn't have to be the primary way to get into this club.

So, how do you guys manage ssh-agent? Is it really a niche solution, and
there's some better way to get similar SSO-like benefits I should know
about instead?

Please advise, thanks folks!

--
*Jesse Thompson | Systems and Network Administrator*

*Webformix Wireless Internet <http://www.webformix.com/>*
*67 NW Hawthorne Ave, Bend, OR 97703-2915*
*Phone: 541-323-9312*