Setup shows errors from gnuplot-base.dash and python38-devel.sh

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Jul 15 11:57:49 GMT 2021

On 7/14/2021 9:20 PM, Doug Henderson via Cygwin wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 16:33, Ken Brown via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

>>> When I do that in an elevated shell:
>>>
>>> $ cd /etc/postinstall/
>>>
>>> $ cat gnuplot-base.dash
>>> /usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/gnuplot gnuplot
>>> /usr/bin/gnuplot-base.exe 10
>>>
>>> $ . gnuplot-base.dash
>>> failed to read link /usr/bin/gnuplot: No such file or directory
>>> failed to link /usr/bin/gnuplot -> /etc/alternatives/gnuplot: No such
>>> file or directory
>>
>> Something seems to be confusing 'alternatives'.  Can you show a listing of
>> /etc/alternatives?
>
> $ cd /etc/alternatives/
>
> $ ls -l
> total 2.0K
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 Admin None  35 Oct  3  2017 automake-doc ->
> /usr/share/info/automake1.9.info.gz
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 Admin None  19 Jun 16 17:48 lua -> /usr/bin/lua5.3.exe*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 Admin None  31 Jun 16 17:48 lua.1.gz ->
> /usr/share/man/man1/lua5.3.1.gz
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 Admin None  20 Jun 16 17:48 luac -> /usr/bin/luac5.3.exe*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 Admin None  32 Jun 16 17:48 luac.1.gz ->
> /usr/share/man/man1/luac5.3.1.gz
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 Admin None  15 Jun  5 08:46 pip3 -> /usr/bin/pip3.8*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 Admin None  22 Jun 16 07:34 python -> /usr/bin/python3.8.exe*
> -rw-r--r-- 1 Admin None 163 Apr  4  2013 README

This shows that alternatives worked in June.  Have you changed anything since
then that might be related to symlinks (e.g., the CYGWIN environment variable)?

Here are a few other things you could try:

1. Attach cygcheck output as requested in https://cygwin.com/problems.html

2. Add --verbose to the alternatives call.

3. Run the alternatives call under strace and look for errors involving
symlinks.  Or post the output somewhere so that we can look at it.

Ken