setup-x86_64.exe crashes randomly on user interaction, too often to use

Philip Goetz philgoetz@gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 19:30:44 GMT 2021

I just re-installed Windows 10 Home on my desktop, and am trying to
re-install Cygwin.
I was able to do the initial default install, but now I'm trying to
use setup-x86_64.exe to add all the non-default packages that I want.
I can reliably go through the parameter selection and get to the point
where I can choose which packages to install.
I change display mode from Pending to Category, and start clicking
through the category tree selecting packages.
But every time I click on something in the cygwin setup window, or
scroll the window, there's maybe 1 chance in 10 that setup-x86_64.exe
will terminate.
There's no error message or pop-up; the window vanishes and the
process no longer shows up in Task Manager.
So I can only install around 10 packages each time I run setup.
This has happened about a dozen times now, and I'm giving up on Cygwin for now.
I can't use setup from the command-line because I don't have a list of
all the packages available.

I'd like to try using an older Cygwin installer, but I didn't find
links to older versions on cygwin.com.

- Phil